Saturday, September 25, 2010

A FAITHFUL PERSON KEEPS HIS WORD, HIS PROMISES.

A FAITHFUL PERSON KEEPS HIS WORD, HIS PROMISES.
Proverbs 25:14 “Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of gifts that he does not give.”  He’s saying be careful about what you promise.  When He evaluates our faithfulness, He’s going to look at all the promises we made.  That ought to put us in holy terror.  “I’ll get back to you…. I’ll return it as soon as I’m through with it …. The check’s in the mail …. I’ll do it later … I’ll pray for you … “  those kind of things.  As a parent, you know you often make promises in moments of weakness – just to get the kids to stop pestering you.  I’ve learned that’s fatal!  Many times I’ve made promises to my kids and it does not even register with me consciously.  But my kids, when it comes to promises, have a mind of an elephant.  They never forget.  
Proverbs 20:25 “It is a trap to dedicate something rashly and only later consider your vow.”  
It’s easier to get in debt than to get out of debt – that’s making a promise to pay.  It’s easier to get into a relationship than out of a relationship.  It’s easier to fill up your schedule than it is to fulfill your schedule.  The Bible is saying that faithfulness is a matter of if you say it, you do it.  You keep your promises.  The number one cause of resentment are unfulfilled promises.  
Psalm 15:4-5 “Whoever does what he promises no mater how much it may cost will always be secure.”  The King James Version says “Whoever sweareth to his own hurt.”  Have you ever made a promise and then thought, “I really don’t want to do this,” but you do it anyway.  God says that counts.  That’s faithfulness.  God is looking for all the times that we’ve stated something and then did it.  We need to ask ourselves, What promises do I need to keep?  Promises to spend more time with the kids.  Promises to spend more time with my husband/wife.  Take a vacation.  Whatever.  Jesus said, “Let your yea, be yea and your nay be nay.”  A Christian ought to be able to just say, “Yes, I’ll do it,” or “No, I won’t.”  You would not believe the excuses we’ve had from people who at the last minute didn’t want to do a Sunday School class or be an usher or greeter or whatever.  They’d call at the last minute.  That’s not faithfulness.    
“Whoever does what he promises no matter how much it may cost will always be secure.” It has personally cost me to keep my own word.Has it for you? If your not faithful to keep your own word why would someone trust you. If you want to have strong self-esteem, the key is to keep your word.  You’ll be a man/woman of your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment